Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Monday, May 12, 2003

Busy weekend! On Saturday I attended a woodturning symposium, complete with three lecture/demo classes, a gallery, and shopping! I came home with a couple of nice pieces of wood, some (relatively) local contacts for obtaining some nice turning woods, and a new skew chisel. The classes I attended included Turning Small Bowls, Spindle Turning Basics (as in balusters and rails, not necessarily drop spindles, but some of the same information applies) and Basic Tool Sharpening. Very interesting, and I learned a lot. I have also added yet more projects to my mental list!

Sunday we went to the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival. "We" was DH, 11 yo DD Ashleigh, and 5 yo DS Noah. We had a great time, and walked around for a little over three hours. I took lots of pictures, but found out I didn't have enough server space to upload them, so I made a Picture trail album. It can be accessed here.

I only bought three things: A spindle carrying bag from Diane Trussel of French Hill Farm (I hope I got that right); a jar of Clapham's Beeswax Polish from the Bosworths, and a cone of cotton roving in a "flame" colorway (reds, oranges, yellows) from Linda of Grafton Fibers. That wasn't all I wanted, of course, but it was all I got. One thing I had to pass on was a gorgeous Saxony-style wheel from Vermont Wheels. No picture of that, sorry, but he has cut-outs with these gorgeous circular brass inserts around the wheel rim. I drooled over the Merlin Tree reproduction Canadian wheels, too - gorgeous workmanship! I love my antique production wheel, but these would run a close second.

I'll get a picture of my purchases up if it ever gets bright enough to take one. It's very gray today, and it's supposed to stay this way until about Thursday or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home