Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Saturday, October 16, 2004

When I spent four days demonstrating spinning at the Deerfield Fair, I sat right next to an antique treadle sewing machine. I have fond memories of such a machine; my grandmother taught me how to sew on hers (what little machine sewing that I actually know). I never have found out what happened to hers, but I've had my eyes open for a treadle machine for two or three years now.

One older gentleman at the fair mentioned that he had two; when I said I'd been looking for one, he gave me his name and phone number. I finally found where I'd written that information down last week, and Tuesday I went to pay him a visit. I came home with this:



I paid all of $50 for it. Everything appears functional, just needs cleaning and a new belt. I'm in love, and can't wait to order a new belt and sew something on it!

Coincidentally, I looked up the manufacture date (via the machine serial number) and this machine was manufactured the same year my grandmother was born. Who could doubt that this machine was meant to be mine?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home