Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Sunday, September 12, 2004

I was surfing the web the other day, and came across lovely images of something called temari. These are also known as "Japanese thread balls." I was astonished by the beauty of this craft form, and spent some time looking up temari online. I found a couple of very informative sites which had patterns, links, instructions, etc. On one of the sites I found a listing of people willing to teach this craft, and one of them is nearby! I emailed him, and will be meeting with him today for a lesson!

Then I went and bought supplies because, as anyone who knows me can testify, I have no patience. And look what I made yesterday!



This is a view of this ball from the side. Below are pictures of the same ball from the top view, and a picture of it in my hand, to give a sense of scale.






I've decided to try to make a few of these for Christmas gifts this year. I haven't yet figured out how to make or attach a hanger to use them as Christmas decorations, but I will.

To find out more about temari, check out TemariKai.com and Judy's Temari Website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home