Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Here in the northeast we have gone from melting to freezing. After about a week of very, very hot and very, very humid weather, we are now having temps in the high 50s, low 60s if we're lucky.

I've been knitting on the edging of my Siberian Winter shawl, and I'm almost finished with side two! I am again left wondering if I'll have enough yarn left to finish this. After the numerous times I've re-started the edging, if I run out at this point, I would be very tempted to just throw this in the trash!

Next in the line-up is the Creatures of the Reef shawl. I also have two others on the needles from my previous shawl knitting obsession - the Irish Diamond Shawl from the book "Folk Shawls", being done in purple Alpafina (a Russian-labeled yarn, purchased as a Webs closeout, several years ago at least); and the Flirty Ruffles shawl being done in lavender Jaggerspun. As if that wasn't enough, I got this pattern in the mail this week:



If you click on the picture, a larger version will open up in its own window.

This is the "Reflections" shawl pattern, from the Suri Elegance line of patterns at The Alpaca Yarn Co. It uses a fascinating construction method. The inside is circular, and reminds me in pattern of Elizabeth Zimmerman's Pi shawl pattern. The circular center is then turned into a square with short rows, before adding rectangular border sections.

I have no idea when I'm going to work on it, but we'll see what happens if I ever finish spinning up the brown laceweight suri. I started with, I think, 6 oz. of that, and I'm pretty sure I could get more. This pattern takes an estimated 875 yards. If I don't end up with enough of the brown suri, I also have raw suri in black and in white.

1 Comments:

  • Just wondering if you have made the Reflections shawl up yet? What's the pattern like? Would it be worth the effort of trying to buy it (and the Raku Suri Stole) for a friend? (I live in Australia and doing this sort of thing involves hassles so I would really appreciate some feedback!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home