Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Monday, May 23, 2005

I picked up some of my knitting the other day, for the first time in a long time, and haven't put it down for long since. It started on Thursday. DH and I had planned to go to an early viewing of Star Wars 3. I'm getting a little too old (or too tired!) for those midnight showings, much as I love to be there for that sort of thing. But a local theater had three 10:00 am showings on Thursday!

We left the house right after 7 yo DS got on the bus - 8 am. After stopping for coffee, we got to the theater at about 8:20. At that time there were maybe four cars in the parking lot, so we decided to take our chances and run to McDonalds for some egg sandwiches. By the time we got back, 8:45 or so, and I got out of the car and got in line, I was #11. At about 9 am the theater operators showed up and told us they would be opening the doors to the public at 9:30. Yay!

I had planned for this wait, and was knitting away on a sock. This is Opal Bumblebee, and the first sock has been done for some time. The second sock is past the heel, and I'm working on the "straightaway" of the instep/foot. Nice, simple, round-and-round stockinette knitting is perfect for waiting.



Finally got into the theater shortly after 9:30 am, and got to see the movie. I loved it! I came home after that and have been slowly working my way through the series (4, 5 & 6, then 1; still haven't re-watched 2 yet) and when I'm done, I'll be going back for another viewing of Episode 3.

I've also continued knitting - except for the brown suri alpaca I've had on my Majacraft since the Sheep & Wool festival. I did spin a little of that at our spinning group meeting on Friday night.

As far as the knitting goes, though, I've really been in the mood to work on some lace. My first thought was to pull out some projects already in progress. I had two in a tote bag. The first is the Siberian Winter Shawl in off-white. I had stopped working on this because the edging was boring me to tears. In the bag where this resides I found a document dated June 2003, so this has been hanging around for a while. I pulled it out, and ended up having to pull out the entire edging because I wasn't able to figure out how to knit it from where I left off. What I had to pull out amounted to about half of one side. I've gotten back to that point and added a few rows besides.

Here's the whole thing. Please ignore the distraction of the Storm-At-Sea quilt on the bed. It was the only place big enough (and without a layer of dog hair) to lay out the shawl.



Here's a picture of just the center. If you click on it, a larger version will open up in a new window.



Here's a picture of the edging. Again, if you click on the picture, you'll get a larger copy.



While I was working on the edging I realized I was rapidly running out of yarn! I do remember breaking this when I was winding it - it came in a huge skein. So I needed to find the rest. I also needed to locate my copy of Sharon Miller's Heirloom Knitting book.

I decided to work on the other project in the bag before I could panic about running out of yarn. Avoidance tactics are always good, and procrastination is one of my specialties. The other one is the Creatures of the Reef shawl. Again, this one had sat so long that I had completely lost my place. I had to rip out about 10 rows of the "Crab and Seahorse" charts (the first charted patterns after the edging - this one is worked from the edging inward). I'm back on track on this one, too, though.



I did find both the missing yarn and the book I was looking for this morning, though! Looks like I'm good to go for a while! These two projects should provide days, if not weeks of procrastination. At this rate, I'll be lucky if I ever finish reloading the software on this computer... VBG!

2 Comments:

  • I love your blog. I had it marked in my favorites and didn't even know it was you. I love your shawls. I want to make the Creatures of the Reef. I really like that one. The other one is beautiful. Great job on the dresses and can't wait to see the shirts. You are braver than I.

    Kathryn from CA

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:54 PM  

  • We went to see Star Wars last night, it was good! Made me dream weird all night though. I like your bumble bee sock, very nice. And your shawls are gorgeous. Hope you finish them this time around:o)

    By Blogger Melissa, at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home