Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Look what I found!



This is the only acrylic pen I've ever done; I have a blue one for DH glued up, but I haven't turned it yet. I made this one about a year ago but hadn't seen it in ages, and had assumed it was lost forever. This morning I grabbed a jacket on my way out the door to church, because it was looking like it might rain, and this was in the pocket. I was so happy to see my lovely purple pen again!

And check this out, my lace is growing:



Sorry for the murky picture; I took another picture with the flash, and it came out glaringly bright. I made a few adjustments to this picture to clarify it a bit, so this one is as good as it gets for now.

After being a member of the New England Lace Group for several years, I finally made it to a meeting yesterday. Part of the reason I had not gone to any meetings was because the meetings are held in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, which is about a 1-1/2 hour drive for me. I finally got to the point where I really want to meet other lacemakers, and see how other people do this. Except for one set of videotapes by Cathy's Lace Studio (which now seem dimly-lit and grainy, compared to the quality of other instructional videos and DVDs I own) and briefly observing a few demonstrations, I've never actually watched anyone else doing this. I don't know how other people's bobbins, pillows, lace, prickings, etc. look in person.

Yesterday's meeting was a lot of fun! And the lady seated next to me, Linda, offered expert and invaluable assistance with my piece of lace! I am so happy I attended, and I am determined to make more meetings. They are only held one day a month, after all. Thanks to Linda, I'll be much more confident working on and/or showing this piece at the Deerfield Fair.

Yesterday afternoon was also interesting. I spotted these critters in the back yard:



These are wild turkeys, and there were about a dozen all together. They were very quiet, and what was even more amazing was that the dogs didn't bark at them! The alpacas, however, were very curious! Click here for a picture of the babies watching the turkeys very carefully!

1 Comments:

  • When my mare was a yearling, she very nearly caught a wild turkey by the tail when it was trying to fly out of her paddock.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home