Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Tuesday, December 10, 2002

Looky what I did!!!


DH and I went to Home Depot today and picked up the rest of the stuff I needed to make spindles. Tonight he showed me how to convert the Shopsmith to a drill press and a lathe. I cut out a bunch of circles from scrap woods (DH's previous projects). After a couple of false starts and mistakes on the lathe, this is what I did:







This is plain ol' pine, with a hardware-store dowel for a shaft; 2-3/4" whorl, 9-3/4" shaft; carved from top and bottom for rim-weighting; 0.7 oz (20 g). I'm so happy!!! I love this spindle, and I haven't even spun on it yet! DH asked me who it was for. I told him, me of course! This is my first hand turned spindle, and I'm keeping it!

Next time I'll work on smoothing out the ends of the shaft... and there will be a next time!

Oh - I must give credit where credit is due - I owe a whole lot to Tom Diak of Grafton Fibers, who generously shared a lot of knowledge and insight about making spindles (and a great recipe for friction polish) during my recent visit with his wife, Linda. Thank you very much, Tom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home