Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Saturday, August 06, 2005

I know it's been over a week since I posted. It's been a very busy week, and a very hot one. Last weekend DH and I started on filling in and seeding the edges of the new driveway. We now have visible grass coming up! (Of course you can't see it in this picture, but trust me, it's there!)



On Monday a friend and I went to visit Nancy. Nancy used to live nearby, but then moved to the southern part of the state, near Keene. I miss her very much, and wish I had a lot more time to visit. The drive time to visit her tends to be prohibitive, however. Over the last several years she has lived in several small towns around Keene, but now she and her family have finally bought their own house! It's very exciting, and I had to go see the new house. It's at least half an hour closer than the last one, fortunately, and much bigger, and full of charming details that remind me of my grandmother's house. While there she gifted me with a bunch of books found at a flea market, including this one:



Can you believe it? And the book is in awesome shape! I have an (ahem) extensive book collection, and Nancy said she was sure I would appreciate this book more than she would. Now is that a priceless friend or what? Thank you so much, Nancy!

On Tuesday DH and DS traveled to Concord with me to meet Melissa and her family. They are lovely, friendly people! Melissa is on an email list that I hang out on frequently, and I am very glad we were finally able to meet. I hope we have time to visit again in the near future. She and her lovely (and very well-behaved!) children have a standing invitation to come by and visit the alpacas and dogs.

Yesterday we went to the movies to escape from the heat for a while. All four of us went to see "Sky High." What a fun movie! DH and I laughed through quite a bit of it, and the kids enjoyed it at least as much as we did.

I also had an FO yesterday! I finished the Creatures of the Reef shawl! OK, it's not blocked yet, but it is done!



Here's a close-up of some of the motifs. They will, of course, show up much better once it's blocked, but we have a row of crabs and seahorses, then a row of starfish, then two rows of fish, then a bunch of bubbles, or what the designer calls "seafoam." The chart is done starting from the long ruffly edging and works up to the neckline. I found that once I got past the crabs and seahorses, the knitting just flew. The bubbles required a lot of concentration, though.



Now I'm working on the Flirty Ruffles shawl, a pattern by the same designer as the Creatures of the Reef. COTR was done in a laceweight merino - a springy, stretchy yarn. The kit for Flirty Ruffles was a Christmas gift about 2 years ago, and is being done in lavender Jaggerspun Zephyr. Zephyr is a laceweight merino/silk blend. The silk adds an awesome sheen and drape to the laceweight yarn. Of the two, I'm sure the Zephyr will hold the shawl shape much better after blocking.

I had started this one when I got the kit, and then left it for something else. This time, though, I was able to pick it up and figure out where I left off within a few stitches.




I did stop in at The Elegant Ewe when I was in Concord on Tuesday. I managed to come up with a small skein of laceweight Shetland that should work just fine for finishing off the Siberian Winter shawl, when I'm ready to get back to it. Right now I'm still mad about running out of yarn and it will sit and be ignored until I'm ready to finish it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home