Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Monday, March 10, 2003

What a weekend! On Saturday we went to a model train show (what fun!) and I came home to find an unexpected package in the mailbox. It contained this:



This is a gorgeous wrist distaff, from Kate!. Isn't it wonderful? It was totally unexpected... and is totally appreciated. Thank you so much, Kate! (You know, it's hard to take a picture of your own hand/arm!)

I managed to add some more length to the Siberian Winter shawl over the weekend:


Here's a close-up of the lace patterning (so far - it will also have an edging when it's done):



I also spent the weekend doing some turning. This is my latest batch of spindles and fiber tools:






The round thing above the nostepindes is a spindle whorl that doesn't yet have a shaft.

I'm having so much fun with the wood that DH and I are discussing doing this as a business. Besides an excuse to buy more wood (which is akin to buying more yarn/fiber), I've realized (a) I can't possibly use all these spindles, and (b) it's a really good excuse to get to go to all the fiber shows! My friend Pam has already said she'd be glad to tag along and help out when she can. Now to start working on a name... and paperwork... Suggestions appreciated!

So far we're working on Morse Crafts - a little too generic, I think; Morse Whorls, perhaps subtitled "Fiber Tools and Woodturning"; one I like is Matrix Woodturning, assuming that's available from the state; also, altho a little more fanciful, Spindelabra (not sure how that should be spelled). I'm hoping to eventually do hand-turned pens and ornaments as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home