Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Sunday, February 22, 2004

Friday I dragged out another UFO that has been marinating for quite a while. It has been long ignored because the yarn (Eros) looked like this:



I know, it's a really lousy picture, but it was the best I could get. After working on it all day, it looked like this:



The shawl is a simple garter stitch shawl, increase one on each edge, being done with one strand of Eros and one strand of mohair. It had a bunch of dropped stitches right in the middle; I had to rip back four rows, after I got the yarn straightened out. I managed to knit those four rows plus a few more. This one is simple, but it can still be a challenge because it's being done on size 10-1/2 needles. As I'm used to working on much smaller needles, these feel like broomsticks to me, and tire out my hands rather quickly.

Yesterday DH, DS and I went to Portland, ME for the SPA Knit & Spin. We only had a few hours, as DD was at a birthday party and needed to be picked up in the late afternoon. I enjoyed meeting up with friends, drooling over wheels, and shopping. I only came home with two things, though. The first was two ounces of Optim fiber, from Indigo Moon Farm - pricey, but extremely fine. The second was an 8-oz bag of Shetland top. I've been wanting to check out various samples of Shetland to see how fine this can be - after all, it's the traditional fiber used for Shetland ring shawls. I wanted some kind of natural color, but the only Shetland I could find was one bag of commercial top, in white. I really didn't want white, so it came home and immediately went into the dyepot with an envelope of Cushing's Orchid dye. This morning it looks like this:



Now I just have to wait for it to dry before I can start spinning it! C'mon, dry faster!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home