Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Friday, June 18, 2004

I've spent most of this week doing as much research as humanly possible on alpacas. There's lots of information available on the web, fortunately, as well as Alpacas magazine, which I found at Barnes & Noble. I've gotten fiber samples in the mail from several alpacas that we're considering, as well. For anyone interested in information on spinning alpaca, I have found articles in the Summer 1999 and Fall 2000 issues of Spin-Off.

Besides researching alpacas, I did some work on sleeve #1 for the Dale baby "Cars" sweater. This one is progressing slowly - partly because of the constant color changing for the stripes, partly because I'm convinced I'll run out of yarn before I finish the second sleeve. (Ignoring it makes that problem go away, right?) I've also been spinning the light silver shetland for the skein I'll be sending in for the NASSA competition. That needs to be mailed before I get on the plane next Wednesday!

I haven't had a chance yet to wash the suri alpaca I got last week, although I did wash a small handful this morning, along with the samples that came in the mail. I've already test-spun a little bit of the suri on a spindle (none plied yet), and it looks like it will make a fabulous laceweight! I'd really like to consider one suri when we get our alpacas, but DH says he doesn't like the way they look, compared to the teddy-bear-like huacayas.

Today is the last day of school for my kids, and it's only half a day at that. DD will be home by noon or 12:30, and DS will be home by 1:30 at the latest. DH will be home today as well, and when the kids get home we'll be going to CT to look at - what else! - alpacas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home