Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Sunday, May 23, 2004

It's cold in here this morning, but it's May, for cryin' out loud, and I refuse to turn on the heat. Great time to have a few shawls lying around...

DH and I watched Colonial House last night, which I also recorded on DVD. I worked on the Opal Bumblebee sock #2 while watching it. I have to concentrate too much to work on the cobweb-weight shetland, or the applique, and I can't just sit and watch TV without doing something. Socks are simple enough - I can just knit around and around, and stop once in a while to count.



I finished the rest of the leg, turned the heel, and made good progress on the foot. The sock should be finished by the time the Colonial House series is done! I noticed that nobody on the show (with the exception of two brief moments of handsewing) was doing any fiber work - no spinning, knitting, or weaving, although they did finally bring in some sheep. I guess, since they're only there for four months, that they don't really have to know how to make their own clothes. We'll be watching the rest of the series next Saturday - can't wait!

History happens to be an interest of mine, especially as it relates to fiber work and/or to women. I have quite a few books in the Covered Wagon Women series, and have enjoyed them immensely. I also have several fascinating books by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. I've read Good Wives (subtitled "Images and Reality in the Lives of Women in Northern New England, 1650-1750") and I just started "A Midwife's Tale" (The Life of Martha Ballard, Based on Her Diary, 1785-1812).

My new scale arrived on Friday, precisely as promised by UPS.



It has already proved its worth. One of the wooden fat core bobbins for the Majacraft Suzie originally weighed 136 grams on my old scale; it weighed 137.8 on this one. If I was trying to spin 10 grams onto this bobbin (to a weight of, as previously measured, 146 grams) I would have been off by nearly 2 grams! I am thrilled.

For a note of excessive offspring sentimentality, this is a picture of one part of a card that 6 yo DS brought me from school:



Y'think he likes his sweaters? If so, why won't he wear them more often in the winter?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home