Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Monday, June 07, 2004

One of the regular programs I participate in is a "Saturday Sampler" at the Silver Thimble Quilt Shop in Kingston, NH. This program started in February, and runs for one year. The first month all participants showed up at the shop, paid $5.00, and were given a fabric packet and directions to make a block. After this, on the first Saturday of the month, we show up, show our completed block, and get the next block in the series for free. If you haven't completed the previous block, you have to pay $5.00 for the next kit. There are three colorways to choose from, and I'm doing two of them, which means I have to pay $5.00 every month for the second kit. I get the first one free - except this month. I couldn't show up last Saturday because I was teaching at the Granite State Knit-In.

Here are the blocks we've done so far:





I am handpiecing my blocks, just because I prefer handwork that I can do on the couch to dragging out the sewing machine. I don't always like the color combinations, either (in month 3, the purples don't have enough contrast), but overall I like what's developing. We'll end up with six different but related color combinations (which are repeated in the second six blocks) and enough blocks to make a lap or child sized quilt. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to add borders and sashes to enlarge the whole thing, or what I'm going to do at the end.

Last month I knew I wouldn't make the Saturday Sampler meeting, so I procrastinated on sewing my blocks. This is the block diagram for the May blocks:



I cut the fabrics this morning, and will begin stitching shortly. It usually only takes me one day per block.

The applique class on Friday was wonderful. I got a very good start on my first Mary Simon block. The Knit-In was terrific as well, if a little tiring. I got out of there this year with only three new patterns (two Cabin Fever and one Lucy Neatby), and a new apron from Grafton Fibers.

I'm not sure I'll make the applique class on Tuesday after all. We had to go out and get a new dishwasher; delivery is scheduled for some time tomorrow. Also, my dad, who's a plumber, was supposed to come down and install it for us. I got a call this morning from one of my sisters that my dad is in the hospital with a gallbladder attack... DH has already gone through that (and the subsequent emergency surgery) so I'm sure my dad will be fine. I will have to find some time to go visit him in the hospital, though (once his situation is clarified - wouldn't do much good to show up for a visit if he's in surgery at that time) and I need to get busy making phone calls to find someone else to install the dishwasher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home