Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Pictures tomorrow, but I just finished plying my North Ronaldsay roving. This is from a rare breed of sheep, and I was given this small ball at the SPA Knit & Spin - a bonus with my subscription to Wild Fibers magazine. The way I spin, it was only natural that I would try to see how far it would go. I would characterize this as a medium fiber - certainly not as soft as merino, but not harsh - and I thought my roving had a rather short staple. Still, when it was done, the skein weighed 0.775 oz (22 grams) and was approx. 153 yards of two-ply laceweight, coming in at about 3158 yards per pound. I don't know what I'll do with only 153 yards of laceweight, but that's nothing new. I have lots of yarn sitting around that doesn't yet have a purpose!

Speaking of laceweight, I finally looked up the results of this year's Longest Thread contest that was held in March. For those who don't know already, this event is part of the Bothwell International Highland Spin-In, which is held every other year in Tasmania. The Longest Thread contest is only a small part of the gathering. This year's Longest Thread (the longest thread spun from 10 grams of raw wool) was 1103.58 meters, produced by Carol Robinson of Australia. Full results can be found here, and a gallery of pictures from the event is here.

By the way, 1103.58 meters for 10 grams of wool comes out to about fifty thousand yards per pound!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home